08 February 2015

Corn and Beans: A Quilting Adventure


PART ONE: The Pattern

After making quilts for the girls, I was inspired to make a quilt for ourselves. 

I began searching for traditional quilt patters and came across something called Corns and Beans which, according to Popular Patchwork, was named for "the staple diet for many settlers and pioneers in America." Quilting Assistant described the pattern as "a bright, sunny block comprised of right triangles in three sizes using three fabrics." The site also stated that the block was "traditionally worked up in white, gold and green, this block's colors are reminiscent of a summer's vegetable harvest".

For me, the number three has significance, perhaps because of its repetition in myths, legends and fairy tales. The thought of a quilt comprised of triangles, three different sizes and three different colors or patterned fabric appealed. Plus the quilt pattern is, quite simply, stunning. Here are some examples:





Once the pattern for the quilt was chosen, the next step was choosing the fabric. For two of the fabrics, I fixed on a Jacobean-patterned cotton and brown cotton paisley. As my husband likes green, he chose a houndstooth pattern of dark green and green.

The next step: putting the blocks together....



Sources:
Image One
Image Two
Image Three


1 comment:

Northern Deb said...

I've always loved this pattern. I did one small one for my grandson and am now contemplating doing a large quilt for myself. Thanks for the inspiration!